Pedro completed his move to Chelsea on Thursday, signing a four-year contract. After training with his team-mates at Cobham for the first time, the Spaniard sat down to speak to the official Chelsea website about the past, the present and the future…
- Pedro, welcome to Chelsea. What are your first impressions of Cobham?
It’s absolutely great here. I am really impressed with the facilities. All my new team-mates have been really nice and I can’t wait to start playing games here. I am so happy.
- How was training today?
It was very intense, very physical. I am ready to start playing straightaway if the manager selects me. I am in very good shape because I have already played for Barcelona this season.
- Have you spoken to the manager? What did he say?
He is one of the main reasons why I’m here. He phoned me a few times and said he needed me to make the team stronger.
He has won titles wherever he has been. I am really looking forward to playing under him and hopefully winning more titles.
- You’ve been involved in a couple of Champions League semi-finals between Barcelona and Chelsea in the past. What do you remember of those ties, in 2009 and 2012, and playing at Stamford Bridge?
They were hard matches for us. They were all interesting games but I have good memories from them. The fans never stopped. They always got behind the team. It was an incredible feeling and I want to have that experience as a Chelsea player now.
- The move gives you a chance to link up with Cesc Fabregas, a man you know well from both Barcelona and the Spanish national team. Did you speak to him before signing? You must be excited to be playing club football with him again…
Yes, I spoke to Cesc. We are very good friends. I knew I would feel at home here and that was one of the main reasons why I decided to join.
He’s a great player, he’s got brilliant vision and he links up really well with the other attacking players. I know we work well together on the pitch so I can’t wait to play with him again.
I have also played with Diego Costa and Cesar Azpilicueta before, for the national team, so I feel very comfortable here.
- What qualities can you add to the team?
I am very fast. I do everything possible to win. I have helped Barcelona win titles and I want to do exactly the same thing at Chelsea, because ultimately we are all here to win things.
- You are a versatile player. Do you have a preferred position in attack?
Wherever I’m needed. Sometimes I play on the right, sometimes on the left, but wherever I play I will give my best.
- You’ve already won so much in your career and you said you want to win more titles here. Was the chance to experience a different football culture an important factor in your decision to come to Chelsea?
Absolutely. I have watched many Premier League games and they look very different to the Spanish game, particularly much faster. I really want to enjoy being here and playing in this league. It’s a new challenge and I can’t wait to get going.
- Photo: Darren Walsh (ChelseaFC/PA)
|- Blues get last-gap win at Britannia Stadium (1-2)|
|- Pedro back to Spain squad after first Lopetegui’s call-up|
|- Blues keep strong up on top after Derby win (1-2)|
|- Superb Pedro leads Blues to win over Swans (3-1)|
|- Pedro strikes again in FA Cup win (0-2)|
|- “Always it is about hard work”|
|- Pedro strikes again as Blues are held in Turf Moor (1-1)|
|- Blues extend gap at the top after Derby win (3-1)|
|- Points are shared in midweek contest at Anfield (1-1)|
|- Four-goal win drive Blues to FA Cup fifth round (4-0)|